A merge tower defense game for mobile devices.
Combine chips to deck out your team of robots and fight off waves of glitched foes!
Released: August 2020
Developed: May 2020 - August 2020
- Joseph Henry Stadolnik IV (myself) - Lead Programmer
- Brandon Coulombe - Assistant Lead Programmer & Assistant Lead Producer
- Vladimir Karashchuk - Lead Artist
- Olivia Bogs - Assistant Lead Artist
- Whitney Kluttz - Lead Designer
- Kazmuir Long - Lead Producer
- Primrose Kirk - Audio Lead
- Unity Cloud Build
- Plastic SCM
- Pyxel Edit
This game was created as part of the 2020 MassDiGI Summer Innovation Program, which is an internship where student game developers collaborate in teams to make mobile games.
My Role: Lead Programmer
As the Lead Programmer on Merge Surge, I worked primarily with the six peers listed above to develop the game, and in particular worked very closely with our Assistant Lead Programmer. My specific achievements on this project included:
- Implementing the behavior of the player's robots ("towers") and their chip equipping system. Each "tower" can have a different chip equipped in each arm, changing that arm's attack type, power level, and appearance.
- Implementing the enemy pathing system.
- Creating an audio management system based on the object pool design pattern.
- Creating attack impact visual effects (using previously-made textures).
- Managing builds and playtesting releases.
- Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, our team worked remotely for the entire development process of Merge Surge.
- Development of Merge Surge has continued after my involvement in the project through the MassDiGI Collab program, with Brandon Coulombe taking over as Lead Programmer.